Friday, April 17, 2009

Midnight Thoughts


As I near the end of my adventures here in China, I can't help but feel a sense of urgency. There is so much I haven't done and still want to do. Yet, I find myself deeply nostalgic about my old life, old friends, and things that I left behind.

Perhaps all this is brought on by my recent illness, yet in the midst of bad health and a horrible work week, I have come to appreciate what I have....good friends, a wonderful family, and a naive sense of security.

A year ago, I don't think I would have been ready for the challenges of grad school or the reality of an unknown future but China has been a magical barrier. It has shielded me from the extremes of a grueling application process and it has comforted me in my deepest time of need. Mostly though, China has allowed me to look at myself from a distance and to find an inner peace for whom I must become. I feel more mature, more independent, and somehow more aware of how the world works.

I will be immensely sorry to take off this cloak of surrealism but peeking at the other side, I feel life won't be so bad. For now though, I'm bless to hide a little longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment