Monday, March 30, 2009

Decisions

So I ended up getting into several MD schools and the U of U's MD/PhD program. Today, I accepted the U of U's offer. I still don't really have the heart to tell USC or Mayo my decisions but I think I'll be happy with this outcome.

Having lived aboard so long, I know the importance of family so I want to be somewhat close to home. I want to see the baby grow, to share in Lilly's senior year, and I think deep down, I'm not a big city girl.

I do have my reservations though. I'm uneasy about the homogenous nature of Utah and my future prospects there (both socially and academically). I fear 8 more years of school and I worry my research might fail.

In making this decision, I have opened up another world of worries...here are a few:

1) Where do I live? Should I return to my parent's home or find a place to call my own?
2) Who do I want to work with? Should I do the same ophthamology research I've been doing for years or should I try to elbow my way into a new field.
3) Will I have any friends? Will any of them be unmarried?
4) Do I need to start preparing for the board exam this year?
5) Why did they not list me as a Utah resident?
6) How will I get back to Utah for the June 1st start date when my contract here ends on May 31st?
7) Can I possibily fulfill the expectations of people around me? Can I even fulfill my own expectations
8) How will I integrate back into American life/being a student?

No comments:

Post a Comment